Tuesday, November 14, 2017

I am 131 years old but young forever! Who Am I?


Through these three riddles let us see whether you can guess the answer to this article’s title:
I’m made of metal and plastic but I’m not a food blender,
I get pressed down on but I’m not a button,
I might be found on a desk but I’m not a stapler,
I cut out circles but I’m not a pair of scissors,
I have paper put in me but I’m not a binder,
I have been with your family for more than a generation!
I am 131 years old but young forever!
Who or What Am I?
* * *
My name sounds as though I like to fight,
But you will actually find I’m kinder,
Because I help with your paperwork,
By ensuring it goes in a binder!
* * *
If you need to file away paper,
Then this item will help you a whole bunch,
As it will make circles in each page,
So it fits in binders – it’s a  _ _ _ _     _ _ _ _ _ _ _!
* * *
I am sure you have guessed correct. It was today, that Google Doodle educated me about this great invention.
Today, thanks to Google we celebrate 131 years of the HOLE PUNCHER, an understated, but essential – artifact of German engineering. As modern workplaces trek further into the digital frontier, this centuries old tool remains largely, wonderfully the same.  
On this occasion, it is good to learn about this great invention. The first patent for a Hole Puncher, or Papierlocher für Sammelmappen (paper hole maker for binding) was filed on 14th November 1886 by inventor Friedrich Soennecken. Mr Soennecken was a German office supplier from the town of Remscheid who founded his own company, F Soennecken Verlag, in 1875. His wares quickly became renowned for their quality, and his paper and pens were a favourite of German philosopher Freidrich Neitzsche, the man who coined the phrase: "What does not kill me makes me stronger". As well as inventing the Hole Puncher, Mr Soennecken created the ring binder to store the freshly punched sheets and a style of calligraphy designed to be neat yet standardised and easy to learn.
The Hole Puncher's design has not changed much in the 131 years since its invention, which means it was a perfect design from the beginning!
Three Cheers to the inventor and his invention that has served several generations at their houses and offices and continues to do so!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shri Ram Janmbhoomi Temple Stamps Table Top/Wall Hanging Souvenir from INDIA POST!

This is a unique addition to our family’s Stamp Collection (starting from the 1930s!), a FRAMED Shri Ram Janmbhoomi Temple Stamps  Table Top...