Sunday, July 20, 2014

Will a snag in my flight, a pilot error or a S-A-Missile kill me?

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 mysteriously disappeared on 8th March 2014 with 239 passengers aboard, and beyond doubt it is declared by all investigating agencies that the flight has crashed into the Indian Ocean killing all the passengers. And three days back on 18th July, Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 has been mercilessly shot down by a missile over Ukraine killing all 298 passengers. These recent aircraft tragedies have hurt me, caused much sorrow and have led to great anxiety, worry and fear of air travel…whether it is me, my family or friends travelling.  As for the 537 precious lives lost in these two tragedies, I feel very sorry for them and wish to convey my sincere and deepest condolences to their families and friends. May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
These tragedies have led me to make a study of fatal flight tragedies. And as a result I have narrowed down to these two charts below, which are very reassuring and have re-imposed confidence in me.
The first chart explains the “Odds of anyone being involved in a fatal air accident”, which as you can see is one in several million!
And the second chart is a graph which shows that over the years (until 2013) the number of accidents per year has gradually reduced and the fatalities too.
So I have decided to stop worrying and advise you not to worry. Just trust in God, say your prayers and enjoy your flights and return home safely. You may now see the charts below:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shri Ram Janmbhoomi Temple Stamps Table Top/Wall Hanging Souvenir from INDIA POST!

This is a unique addition to our family’s Stamp Collection (starting from the 1930s!), a FRAMED Shri Ram Janmbhoomi Temple Stamps  Table Top...